September 25th, 2009 1:18pm
When Bands Throw Food At You
I am very excited about seeing Phoenix perform tomorrow night in Central Park. I know most people are just really into the songs, and yeah, they’re great, but I mostly go to Phoenix gigs for the free bread. If you didn’t know, Phoenix is notorious for tossing baguettes out to the audience during the song “If I Ever Feel Better.” They used to have a baguette cannon, but I guess someone got hurt at a gig, and now they just toss them underhand to people in the first few rows. So you know, you’ve got to get up front if you’re hungry.
I love it when bands have an official food or beverage that they share with the audience during their concerts. I have personally experienced the following:
- Animal Collective They spray the audience with a Kombucha hose during the lead-up to “Fireworks.”
- Sufjan Stevens Has stagehands pass out tiny cups filled with samples of local beers and wines from whatever city he is playing that night.
- Neko Case Fun-size packs of Goldfish crackers handed out to the people furthest from the stage.
- Nine Inch Nails Concertgoers who purchased their tickets for the Wave Goodbye tour through NIN.com received a coupon for a free “Love It”-sized ice cream creation at Cold Stone Creamery at the merch booth.
- Feist Pinkberry frozen yogurt gun, part of official endorsement deal.
- Lykke Li Cream of mushroom soup.
- The Smashing Pumpkins Pumpkin spice flavored fortune cookies, the “fortune” is a spiritual blessing or aphorism from Billy Corgan.
- Sonic Youth Skittles.
- Vampire Weekend Water balloons filled with gazpacho.
- U2 Provisions dropped on the cheap seats from helicopters above the stadium.
- Insane Clown Posse Faygo, duh.
What is the best food or beverage you’ve seen a band toss out/spray at their audience?